Togo government tells team to quit Cup of Nations

January 9, 2010


Angola
“Togo’s footballers are being recalled from the Africa Cup of Nations by their government following a deadly attack on the team’s bus in Angola. An assistant coach, press officer and driver were killed. Two players were shot and injured in Friday’s attack. The Angolan government and tournament officials had been pressing Togo to stay for their group games in Cabinda. Togo government minister Pascal Bodjona said the team was coming home because the players were in a state of shock.” (BBC)

Togo Bus Attack in Angola ahead of African Cup of Nations: Reaction & Some Serious Questions
“So on the eve of the African Cup of Nations 2010, African football’s jewel in the crown, tragedy strikes. As was reported earlier, the Togo national team bus was ambushed by gunmen and shot at on it’s way from the Democratic Republic of Congo to the team’s base in Cabinda, where they were due to play their Group B Cup of Nations matches. Reports are coming in all the time, but it is thought that the team bus driver was killed on the spot. Additionally, 4 players are thought to have been shot and team doctors are also seriously injured. Nantes forward Thomas Dossevi spoke to RMC, a French radio station after the attack.” (Just Football)

No concerns over South African security, insists World Cup chief
“Danny Jordaan, the head of the 2010 South Africa World Cup, has told Observer Sport there should be no concern over safety at the tournament following the gun attack in Angola on Togo’s team bus, which killed four people and wounded eight others on Friday. Yet while Jordaan was insistent that ‘terrorists cannot be allowed to win’, he did admit “even more stringent” security measures would be taken ahead of the finals, the first to be held in Africa.” (Guardian)

Clubs want African players back after Togo attack
“Hull boss Phil Brown has led calls for Premier League players at the Africa Cup of Nations to return to the UK after the Togo bus came under gunfire. The assistant coach, press officer and driver were killed. Two players were shot and injured in Friday’s attack. Hull’s Gabon striker Daniel Cousin and Nigerian midfielder Seyi Olofinjana are among 31 Premier League players in Africa for the tournament.” (BBC)

Togo withdraw from Africa Cup of Nations after deadly gun attack
“Togo have withdrawn from the Africa Cup of Nations following the gun attack on the team bus that is understood to have killed one player, two staff members and the driver yesterday as it crossed the border from the Democratic Republic of Congo into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda.” (Guardian)

Togo withdraw from ANC as death toll increases
“Togo have withdrawn from the African Nations Cup in Angola following the machine gun attack on their team bus on Friday, with the death toll now understood to have risen to three. The team bus was attacked by rebels after crossing the border from the Democratic Republic of Congo into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda ahead of the tournament. There have been conflicting reports about the identity of those shot, but Togo assistant coach Abalo Amelete and a spokesperson, Stanislas Ocloo, have died along the bus driver; while the condition of goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale, who was reported dead earlier, is unclear.” (ESPN)

Tragic Togo attack has done irreparable damage
“Once again, the world of sport has been dragged into the news spotlight with tragic consequences. And, with the World Cup looming on the horizon, it could not have come at a worse time for the continent of Africa. There have been fears about the showpiece event in June, but Friday night’s shocking gun attack on the Togo team bus, which left four dead and many more injured, has now raised questions over the future of this year’s African Nations Cup as well.” (ESPN)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 127 other followers